“Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own (foreseeable) needs.”
Our Common Future (WCED, Brundtland Report 1987)
As a responsible real estate developer, UDA understood early on that maintaining the Company's long-term success would depend on its capacity to maintain its businesses and giving back to society, environment, and economy.
Regarding this, the Company is dedicated to generating long-term value via its developments and will keep creating holistic townships that meet the social, physical, and spiritual demands of the people.
The initial foray into sustainable business practices started way back during UDA’s initiation with matters focused on social and economic activities related to the nation and the people’s sustainability matters, such as improving the livelihood, creating more opportunities, operational efficiency and corporate social responsibilities. Since then, the sustainability practices have been broadened to a holistic ecosystem approach with focus across the value chain supporting the three (3) spheres of People, Planet and Prosperity. UDA's goal is to build sustainable communities and provide socially beneficial development solutions.
UDA has been adopting sustainability practices in its businesses, operations, and products. These include the development of green building projects, development, and provision of affordable housing in areas it has presence in, and development of Waqf land.
Sustainability In UDA
The understanding and identification of sustainability ecosystem is key to establish a robust & comprehensive sustainability roadmap
UDA sustainability ecosystem is based on the following:
- 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs)
- Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosure (TCFD)
- Internationally recognised standards on sustainability reporting e.g., Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) etc.
- ESG indexes e.g., Dow Jones Sustainability Index, FTSE4Good Bursa Malaysia, MSCI etc.
- Best practices from leading property developers/ real estate from local and international organisations.
Our Sustainability Ecosystem
Governance / Framework
- Governance, Strategy & Roadmap
- Integrated Policy / SOPs / Guidelines
- Goals & Targets (Quantitative)
- ESG integration into Sustainability KPI
- SRI Sukuk Framework
- Sustainability Management System (SMS)
Tools / Process / Assessment
- Materiality mappings
- Climate change risk and opportunities
- Sustainability Playbook
- Eco-efficiency Management Tools (Carbon Footprint, Waste & Water Management)
- Biodiversity tool
- Annual sustainability assessment to BUs
- ESG inclusion (GRESB, CDP)
- Green financing / bond (Sukuk)
- External green certification
- Lean Six Sigma / Continuous Improvement
Implementation & Initiatives
- Business unit sustainability plans
- Training modules
- Community programs
- Eco-efficiency improvement (carbon, water, waste & recycling - circular economy)
- Gap closure based on sustainability assessment
Communication & Disclosure
- Internal / external comms.
- Industry sharing / collaboration / partnership (UN Global Compact, Climate Governance Malaysia, Climate Action Network etc.)
- Sustainability marketing
- GRI +TCFD sustainability reporting
UDA Sustainability Framework & Governance
To be the preferred organization with diversified property and asset management businesses.
Enriching life by delivering best-value products and services sustainably.
- Do the Right Thing
- Overcome Challenges
- Together We Can
- Strive for Excellence
Enabling Business Growth
- Economic Performance
- Procurement Practices
- Market Presence
Managing Environmental Footprint
- Environmental Compliance
- Climate Resilience
Improving Stakeholder Welfare
- Data Privacy
- Health and Safety
- Customer Experience
- Entrepreneur Development
Empowering Good Governance
Alignment to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs)
Engagement with Stakeholders
Board of Directors and Employees
Customers, Tenants and Prospects
Government and Regulators
Suppliers / Contractors / Business Partners
Local Community and NGOs
Shareholders / Investors and Analyst
UDA Sustainability Governance
UDA Sustainability Sukuk Framework
Our corporate sustainability Sukuk framework (”Sustainability Sukuk Framework”) serves as the foundation for the Company's sustainability initiatives. The framework considers sustainable development, community improvements, and environmental concerns in tandem with wealth creation.
Kindly download our Sustainability Sukuk Framework here. For Sustainability Sukuk Framework Assessment, please download here.
Feel free to reach out to us about any enquiry, feedback, and suggestions related to sustainability to email@example.com.